Development Strategy (CEDS)
The Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) is a five year roadmap for improving economic conditions and resiliency. This economic development focused “strategic plan” outlines goals and actions for the region, and is useful in applying for grant opportunities.
The Cascades West Economic Development District (CWEDD) is in the process of updating its CEDS for the four-county region of Benton, Lane, Lincoln, and Linn Counties. A Committee for updating the CEDS document has been appointed by the Boards of the Oregon Cascades West Council of Governments (OCWCOG), and Lane Council of Governments (LCOG). The Institute for Policy Research and Engagement (IPRE) at the University of Oregon has been contracted to guide the Committee through the process.
Roles and Responsibilities
CWEDD Staff are working closely with IPRE throughout the process. Outlined below are more details on roles and responsibilities for the project:
- UO IPRE Team – Acts as guide through the CEDS update process by facilitating meetings and soliciting feedback on the update. Will do much of the behind-the-scenes work to update the document.
- CEDS Committee (includes CWEDD Board, economic development partners, and interested parties) – Will provide guidance and feedback throughout the update process.
- CWEDD/COG Staff – Will work closely with the UO IPRE team to guide the process. Will provide written and verbal feedback on document drafts by participating in regular check-in meetings with the UO IPRE team.
- CWEDD Board – Responsible for final CEDS adoption.
The table below contains the anticipated topics of discussion over the next six months. this may change. Regardless, all meeting and project materials will be posted on this website, so check back often for updates!
For CEDS update questions, please contact Aniko Drlik-Muehleck at email@example.com.
With the expectation that many staff and elected officials in the region are focused on wildfire response, staff decided to provide written materials for review and comment as opposed to hosting an in person Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) Update meeting on September 17th. Feedback will be accepted until October 1st.
More information on the Action Plan and Implementation Strategy are provided below.
- Skim the SWOT and Action Plan Part 1 Questionnaires – estimated skimming time: 10min
- Review the CWEDD CEDS Action Plan Findings & Recommendations memo; the memo has two sections:
- Two-page Findings and Recommendations report that summarizes the feedback the IPRE team has received about the CEDS Action Plan and our preliminary recommendations for changes to the Action Plan – estimated reading time: 5min
- Two-page Example Revision of Goal 2 that demonstrates potential changes to the Action Plan – estimated reading time: 5min
As you review these materials, please consider what stands out to you that you might want provide feedback around.
After you have reviewed the materials, please share any feedback you have by clicking HERE. This questionnaire gives you space to provide written feedback on the questionnaire findings, the Findings and Recommendations report, and the Example Revision of Goal 2. We suggest you have the Questionnaire results and the CWEDD CEDS Action Plan Findings & Recommendations memo open as you’re filling out the questionnaire.
Please enter your feedback by Thursday, October 1st.
The IPRE team will review feedback from the questionnaire and create an updated draft of the CEDS Action Plan. The next CEDS Update Meeting will take place on October 15th from 9:00 – 11:00 am via Zoom. This meeting will cover Implementation Strategy and the CEDS Evaluation Framework (metrics). Please keep an eye out for details later in October.
In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions (contact Aniko at firstname.lastname@example.org), and we look forward to working with you on the Action Plan, Implementation Strategy, and Evaluation framework!