The Oregon Cascades West Council of Governments (OCWCOG), in partnership with the InterCommunity Health Network Coordinated Care Organization (IHN-CCO), has launched a community bikeshare program in Corvallis. Called Pedal Corvallis, the program is targeted to help Medicaid members access medical appointments and personal trips; it also is open to all community members age 18 and older.
The program is operated by Zagster©, which also operates bikeshare programs in more than 130 cities nationwide.
- Benton County Health Department, 530 NW 27th Street
- Downtown Transit Center, 5th Street and Monroe Avenue
- Lincoln Health Center, 121 SE Viewmont Avenue
- Oregon State Credit Union, 1980 NW 9th Street
- Osborn Aquatic Center, 1940 NW Highland Drive
- OSU’s Kerr Administration Building, 1500 SW Jefferson Avenue
- OSU’s Weniger Hall, 103 SW Memorial Place (facing Monroe Avenue on the building’s north side)
- SamFit / Samaritan Square, 777 NW 9th Street #310
If you are an IHN member, please call Cascades West Ride Line at 541.924.8738 for information on how to sign up for free.
Unlock. Choose your bike and enter the bike’s number into the app and tap Start Ride. After the ring lock opens, remove the docking cable from the side of the ring lock. The 2 trikes in the Pedal Corvallis system use a different locking mechanism than the ring lock.
Click HERE for an instructional video about locking the trikes.
Ride. Have fun! Use the ring lock to keep the bike secure at any public rack, if you make stops along the way.
Return. When you’re done, lock the bike back into any Pedal Corvallis station. Press and hold the lock button on the keypad until the light flashes. On the right side of the bike, find the orange tab on the ring lock and slide it down. Place the docking cable from the station into the port on the ring lock. Go to your Zagster app and tap End Ride.
If you’re not a smartphone user, you can use the text message feature on your phone rather than the Zagster app.
- Biking itself! Biking gets more people onto bikes. 16% of riders wouldn’t have taken their trip if bikeshare wasn’t available.
- Business. Bikeshare increases the spending of residents and visitors, positively impacting local business.
- Health. Biking just 30 minutes a day can reduce the risk of heart disease by 82% and the risk of diabetes by up to 58%
- Transit. Bikeshare reduces traffic, makes transit connections easier, and reduces congestion along busy routes.
Several stats from around the country show the positive impact of bikesharing:
- 33% of new bikeshare members in Minneapolis had ridden less than once a month before joining.
- 79% of bikeshare riders surveyed in Washington, DC intended to spend money during their trip.
- Going for a relaxed bike ride burns 60% more calories than walking.
- In Boston, Hubway was able to show carbon offset of 150 tons per year from bikeshare.
Corvallis Transit System available HERE.
- On trails, warn pedestrians and cyclists before you pass, by using your bell or by saying “on your left.”
- Ride predictably and avoid weaving between parked cars.
- Ride with the direction of traffic.
- Avoid carrying heavy items in your basket; for larger loads, you can use a cargo trike, which are available at the Lincoln Station and the 27th Street and Tyler Avenue Station (at Benton County Health Department). Please note: While other Pedal Corvallis bikes can be returned to any Zagster station after your ride, trikes are required to be returned to the same station from which they were rented.
Peak Sports Bicycle Rentals
Interested in trying out a new style of riding before buying? Visiting Corvallis and want to explore our beautiful terrain on a mountain bike? Check out Peak’s selection of high-quality bicycles in its rental and demo inventory by clicking HERE.
Bike and Hike
Bike and Hike also offers rental of bikes and other equipment. Visit their website by clicking HERE.
- October 4, 2017 – Rent a bike or Save a bike: The Pedal [Corvallis] Program and Local Tips, The Corvallis Advocate
- Summer 2017 – Pedal Corvallis Brochure
- Summer 2017 – Pedal Corvallis Community Map
- April 25, 2017 – Bike-sharing program adds two OSU stations, Corvallis Gazette-Times
- April 17, 2017 – Press Release and Member Release: Pedal Corvallis Expanding to OSU: Launch Scheduled for Earth Day Celebration
- February 22, 2017 — Corvallis Bike Share Expands, The Corvallis Advocate
- Winter / Spring 2017, page 24 — Free bike-share program spins health care in new direction, Heart to Heart
- January 6, 2017 — CCO hosts dinner forum on community health, Corvallis Gazette-Times
- December 4, 2016— Salem may join other Oregon cities in bike-share push, Statesman Journal
- December 4, 2016 — Salem may have bike-share program by spring 2017, KGW.com
- December 4, 2016 — Salem May Join Other Oregon Cities In Bike-Share Push, OPB FM
- November 10, 2016 — “Be Bright, Be Seen” campaign aims to increase bike safety on campus, The Daily Barometer
- September 27, 2016 — Pedal Corvallis ad, The Albany Democrat-Herald
- September 24-25, 2016 — Corvallis Fall Festival is held in Central Park, in the Heart of Corvallis, Oregon, Corvallis Fall Festival
- August 2016, page 3 — Pedal Corvallis Bike Share Now Open!, News from Benton County
- July 29, 2016 — Get involved with Pedal Corvallis, Corvallis e-news
- July 12, 2016 — Bikeshare Program Combines Transportation With Health, The Lund Report
- July 10, 201 — Community bikeshare now open in Corvallis, Well Informed, Timely News for Samaritans
- July 2, 2016 — Zagster Launches Pedal Corvallis Bike Share, Zagster Blog
- July 1, 2016 — Bikeshare Program Rides into Corvallis, KEZI.com
- June 30, 2016 — Zagster Brings Bike Sharing to Corvallis, Digital Journal
- June 30, 2016 — Zagster Brings Bike Sharing to Corvallis, Virtual Strategy Magazine
- June 30, 2016 — Zagster Brings Bike Sharing to Corvallis, Market Wired
- June 28, 2016 — Corvallis to unveil bike-share program, The Corvallis Gazette-Times
- June 22, 2016 — Pedal Corvallis: Cheap, Easy, Bike-Sharing Transit, The Corvallis Advocate
- June 22, 2016 — New Bikeshare Program in Corvallis, Oregon, Visit Corvallis
- June 21, 2016 — Member Release: Bikeshare is Coming to Corvallis and You’re Invited to Participate!
- June 21, 2016 — Press Release: Pedal Corvallis: Community Bikeshare Program Brings New Transportation Opportunity to Corvallis
- OCWCOG Media Kit
- Pedal Corvallis, 8.5 x 11
- Pedal Corvallis, 11 x 17