If you commute to work by bike, bus, carpool/vanpool, or walking, you may be concerned with how to get home quickly in case of an emergency. The Cascades West Transportation Options Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program is here to help.
Emergency Ride Home is a FREE service providing a trip home by taxi ($50 maximum per trip) or rental car, if you or a family member experiences an illness or emergency, including a home emergency. You also can use ERH if you have unscheduled overtime (supervisor’s approval required) or your carpool/vanpool driver has an emergency and leaves early.
Am I eligible for Emergency Ride Home?
To be eligible for ERH, you must:
- Be a member of Drive Less Connect (anyone can join for free at www.DriveLessConnect.com);
- Work in Linn, Benton, or Lincoln County;
- Enroll in the ERH program (instructions below), and
- Commute by bike, bus, carpool, vanpool, or walking on the day you need to use ERH.
How do I participate?
- Log in or sign up for Drive Less Connect at www.DriveLessConnect.com.
- After you’ve completed your profile, click on “Commute Services” in the top bar. Click on “Enroll Now.” DON’T WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY — ENROLL TODAY! Read the guidelines, complete the application, and submit. Your application will be processed and you will be notified by email of your acceptance into the program in one-two business days.
- When you need to use ERH, just log into www.DriveLessConnect.com, click “Commute Services,” and select “Request Emergency Ride Home.” You can use a total of two vouchers (ERHs) per year.
- Enter the information requested on the voucher, follow the instructions, and print the voucher. You must complete the voucher in full for it to be processed.
- If your trip is under 20 miles, contact one of the taxi companies suggested on the voucher or another of your choice. If your trip is 20 miles or more, you have the option of getting a car through Enterprise Rent-A-Car©. NOTE: If you are unable to drive, or if you need a ride when the Enterprise Rent-A-Car office is closed, you will be able to choose a taxi option, even if your ride is over 20 miles. You will be asked to document this when you fill out your voucher. (FYI, the Albany Enterprise Rent-A-Car office is open 7:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday – Friday; 9:30 am – 12:00 pm on Saturday; and closed on Sundays. The Corvallis office is open 7:30 am – 6:00 pm Monday – Friday, and 9:00 am – 12:00 pm weekends. The Newport office is open 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday – Friday and closed weekends. Please contact the closest office).
- IF TAKING A RENTAL CAR: Call the number listed on the voucher to arrange your ride. You will be required to present a valid driver’s license and a credit card (for confirmation and any incidentals only; your credit card will not be charged for qualifying trips). You will turn in your voucher (see step 4 above) to the Enterprise staff, who will fill out the top portion and submit to Cascades West Transportation Options for payment. Your employment supervisor’s signature is required on the voucher to verify the ERH trip, but if your supervisor is not available before you submit it to Enterprise, please just provide his/her name and phone number. (For ERH clients, there are no mileage restrictions. You may keep the Enterprise vehicle for up to 24 hours, and can return the vehicle to any Enterprise location.)
- IF TAKING A TAXI: You will pay for the ride and Cascades West Transportation Options will reimburse you. Keep a receipt showing the cost, mileage, date, and the name of the provider company. If a receipt isn’t available, ask the driver to fill out the top portion of the voucher, which says To be completed by service provider. When you return to work, obtain your supervisor’s signature on the voucher to verify the ERH trip. Mail the completed voucher with receipt within two weeks of the ERH occurrence to: Cascades West Transportation Options, 1400 Queen Avenue SE, Suite 205A, Albany, OR 97322. You should receive your reimbursement in one-two weeks.
Where will ERH take me?
Qualifying trips include to your home; to a transit stop; to a medical facility; to the location where your vehicle is parked (for example, a park and ride lot); or for qualifying side-trips, such as picking up an ill child at school. All locations must be documented on the voucher, in the Additional Notes line.
- You can use ERH a maximum of two (2) times per year.
- Maximum reimbursement per taxi trip is $50. Charges above $50 are your responsibility.
- If you have questions, call Cascades West Transportation Options at 541-924-8480.
- You cannot use ERH for a ride to work, personal errands, business travel, appointments, non-emergency side trips, previously scheduled overtime, or working late without a supervisor’s approval. You also cannot use ERH in place of an ambulance trip to a hospital, because of inclement weather, if you were late for your carpool/vanpool/bus, or because of personal vehicle or bike failure.
- ERH is only available to employees. (If student-employees use the program, it must be for work-related purposes).
- ERH vouchers are non-transferable.
- Cascades West Transportation Options does not assume liability for personal injury or loss of property.
- If you have mobility needs, please contact us in advance at 541-924-8480.
What if I do not work in Linn, Benton, or Lincoln Counties?
Cherriots Rideshare has an ERH program serving employees of specific organizations in the greater Salem area (Marion, Polk, and Yamhill Counties). Call 503-371-7665 for information.
Point2point at Lane Transit District has an ERH program serving specific organizations in the Eugene/Springfield metropolitan area. Call 541-682-6213 for information.
What is Drive Less Connect?
Now that you’re registered at www.DriveLessConnect.com, use the site any time to find a carpool, track your achievements including financial savings, and win prizes! Click on “Ridematch” in the top blue bar to create a trip and find a carpool or vanpool. Click on “Calendar” to track any trips you make by bus, bike, teleworking, carpool, vanpool or walking, (for work or play!) and you’ll be eligible to win prizes such as gift cards to local restaurants and coffee shops. It’s free, easy, and secure.
For Valley Vanpoolers:
The vanpool vendor serving our Region, Enterprise, has their own ERH programs. If you are a member of a Valley Vanpool van, contact the vendor for your group for information.
Enterprise Rideshare: Stacey Swain, Stacey.A.Swain@ehi.com
Vanpool members who work in Linn, Benton, and Lincoln Counties are eligible to use the Cascades West ERH program, but should contact their vanpool vendor first, when possible.