Safe Routes to School
OCWCOG has spearheaded Safe Routes to School (SRTS) projects in several communities in the Linn, Benton, and Lincoln County Region since 2013. SRTS is a national movement promoting bike and pedestrian safety, access, and education for elementary and middle school students. SRTS Action Plans that OCWCOG has helped develop include:
- Newport Intermediate School, Newport, 2014
- Sweet Home Junior High, Sweet Home, 2015
- Oceanlake Elementary, Lincoln City, 2015
- Sweet Home School District / Oak Heights Elementary, Sweet Home, 2015
- Jefferson Elementary, Jefferson, 2018 (Albany Area Metropolitan Planning Organization)
OCWCOG has received grant funding from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) to support SRTS projects in Albany, Harrisburg, Jefferson, Lebanon, and Sweet Home through October 2019. The projects are being developed in collaboration with the participating schools and communities; please contact us to get involved! Examples include mapping of bike and pedestrian routes, Walk and Bike to School Day group activities, “Bike Rodeos” featuring safety education and helmet fitting, and more.
For More Information
Statewide Safe Routes to School resources and information:
Click HERE to access OCWCOG's feature in the 2017 Oregon Safe Routes to School Annual Report.